I just made my own guacamole for the first time based on a recipe by Dr. John La Puma. I customized it considerably for my own tastes, so I’m claiming this recipe as my own.
- 3 avocados
- 2 small tomatillos
- Half a small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Serrano chile peppers
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1-2 tsps each of lemon and lime juice
- 1 tbsp of sour cream
- Salt to taste
- Mash up the avocados until they’re a nice green paste (yucky visual, I know).
- Add the onion, garlic, tomato, and tomatillo.
- Cut the chile peppers in half from top to bottom. Then, take a spoon and scoop out the seeds (this will reduce their spiciness a good bit — thanks to Dr. La Puma for this tip). Mince the peppers and add to mixture.
- Add the sour cream, and the lemon and lime juice. Salt to taste. Stir thoroughly.
Enjoy on tortilla chips, as a sandwich spread (especially on a deli-sliced turkey sandwich with brown mustard — YUM!), or as a vegetable dip.
Let me know what you think!
aka The MonT-SteR